Danilo Perez Ngo
The English community of Se Cathedral gathered for the healing prayer through the intercession of Padre Pio at the St Dominic’s Church in the peninsular part of Macau at the Largo de São Domingos, situated near the IACM building on Sunday, November 1, 2020 after the 6:30 PM English Mass.
The healing prayer which is usually held every 1st Sunday of the month coincided with the Solemnity of All Saints. Moreover, it was the 1st English Mass celebrated at the St. Dominic Church after the Se Cathedral Church has been closed on Oct. 31 for renovation for at least 9 months.
Starting Nov.1, the 5 PM and 6:30 PM English Masses previously celebrated at the Se Cathedral will be transferred to the St Dominic Church.
“The construction of the church was finished in 1587 and was overseen by three Spanish Dominican priests. Due to the renovations and reconstruction, the current structure dates back to the early 17th century. The church is listed as one of the 29 sites that form the Historic Center of Macau, a UNESCO World Heritage Site.
“St Dominic Church was built in a Baroque style and is noted for its mixture of European and local Macanese features in its design. This is demonstrated in the church’s use of Chinese-style roof tiles and doors made of teak. The church’s high altar features a statue of the Madonna and Child Jesus as the centerpiece and is flanked by wood and ivory-carved statues of several saints.
“The Treasure of Sacred Art Museum was established as part of the 1997 renovation and is located inside the church’s ball tower. It contains approximately 300 religious works of art and artifacts.” (Wikipedia)
(Photo: Altar of St Dominic Church by Danilo Ngo)